Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Dachshunds of Lent

Thank you Sabine and Jan for alerting me to This Article.

Humm.. Lent, Journeys, Dachshunds, dog-sitting business... how in the world could you have related that to me?!

I enjoyed This Article immensely as the dog-walking, philosophizing author considers how walking his charges with various temperaments, reminds him of the struggle we all have with our virtues, vices, personalities and desires as we live in a world with excesses the ready and are constantly urged to do 'what feels good.'

I love reading about the personalities of the two dachshunds he walks along the streets of Manhattan. I can't profess to be as deep or quite the writer he is, but I could relate and resonate very much to his words.

I love our petsitting business. I must admit I generally enjoy the dogs more than the cats, (because most cats won't play), but they are convenient for my schedule with their litter box system in place.

What do I love about it?


- Sharing it with my sons

-I love dogs. As a little girl I would cut picture of dogs out of magazines and had an ever-growing gallery scotch-taped to my bedroom wall. oOe of my goals in life is to get to know one of every breed. (better get busy)

-Love the families we serve.

-Feel like we truly help them. I am the petsitter I have always wished I had. (really)

-My sons enjoy the extra money and it is teaching them about business, professionalism and customer service. When a visit was missed, (first time that happened) the responsible son had to fess up to the owner in person and offer retribution.

-Spiritual growth. Yes, I never dreamed! One thing we tell our clients (or their owners) is we fit the sit for them. What does THIS dog need to keep him/her de-stressed. Could be: walks, throwing a ball, sit and scratch ears, or just showing up.

-It is humbling to serve the needs of a dog. (Think poop. Or getting up early on a day you otherwise would not have to.)

-These visits cause me to slow down. Sometimes when I visit a dog and we sit in the empty house, he just wanting some lap-time or ear-scratches, I will bring my reading and have quiet time to think and pray. Unlike home, there are no dirty dishes, laundry or computer calling me. We sit, talk, and just be. Sometimes I sing to them.

- The walks are wonderful. We are out, and I am always conscience of their safety and they are just having a blast. Sniff-fests, meet and greets, devouring the neighborhood. Like the author, I see a lot of life and personalities. I have to adjust the walk for the dog, help him keep safe within his temperament, but have as much fun as he can without 'sinning', as St. John Bosco would advise.

Best of all, when we show up to a house, with the owners far away, across the state, country or world, or maybe just off to work all day, our clients are always happy to see us.

Can't beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment